Subject: alt.drugs FAQ References List
From: [email-masked] (Gnosis)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 95 21:18:34 EET
Newsgroups: alt.drugs

REFERENCES FOR
                   ALT.DRUGS FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
                        (The New Miscellaneous FAQ)

                Maintained by:    [email-masked]
                Special kudos to: [email-masked]
                                  [email-masked]
                Last modified:    17 Feb 1995

Part A

1. Do the Feds monitor alt.drugs?

   [they know about it]

   Ely-R, "Information super-highway being used to spread synthesis
   information," Journal of Clandestine Laboratory Investigating Chemists
   Association (JCLIC), V.4, No. 1, Jan 1994, pp 4-5.

   Ely-R, "Cruising the information superhighway," JCLIC, V 4,
   No 2, April 1994, pp 8-15.

Part C

1. Is there strychnine (rat poison) in LSD?

   [analysis]

   "The PharmChem Newsletter".  Volume 1 issue 1 through volume 3 issue 2.
   1972-74.
   
2. Does LSD leave crystals in your brain/spinal fluid that cause flashbacks?

   [flashbacks]

   Matefy-R, Hayes-C, Hirsch-J, "Psychedelic drug flashbacks: Attentional
   deficits?"  J. Abnorm. Psych., 1979, 88: 212 - 215.

   Stanton-M, Bardoni-A, "Drug flashbacks: Reported frequency in a
   military population."  Am. J. Psychiatr., 1972, 129: 751 - 755.

3. What happens if I take LSD while I'm on Prozac or other antidepressants?

   [-]

4. I have a recipe for making LSD with moldy rye bread and hair spray...

   [real synthesis]

   Johnson, Ary, Teiger, Kassel.  "Emetic Activity of Reduced Lysergamides."
   Journal of Medicinal Chemistry.  16(5):532-537.  1973.

5. Can you overdose on acid/pot?

   [LD50 info]

   _NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances_.

   _The Merck Index_ (11th edition).

6. What is Ecstasy (E, XTC)?

   [analysis]

   Renfroe-C-L, "MDMA on the Street: Analysis Anonymous." J. Psychoactive
   Drugs 18 363-369 (1986).

   [MDMA info]

   Shulgin-A-T, "The Background and Chemistry of MDMA." Journal of
   Psychoactive Drugs. Vol 18(4):291-304. Oct-Dec 1986.

7. Does MDMA cause brain damage/Parkinson's disease/deplete spinal fluid?

   [brain damage]

   McCann-U-D, Ridenour-A ,Shaham-Y, Ricaurte-G-A,  "Serotonin neurotoxicity
   after (+/-)3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA; "Ecstasy"): a
   controlled study in humans."  Neuropsychopharmacology.  1994 Apr.  10(2).
   P 129-38.

   Steele-T-D, McCann-U-D, Ricaurte-G-A, "3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine
   (MDMA, "Ecstasy"): pharmacology and toxicology in animals and humans."
   Addiction.  1994 May.  89(5).  P 539-51.

   O'Callighan-JP, Miller-DB, "Quantification of Reactive Gliosis as an
   Approach to Neurotoxicity Assessment."  NIDA Monograph #136, _Assessing
   Neurotoxicity of Drugs of Abuse_.  1993.

   Wilson, et al, "Reactions of 5-HT Neurons to Drugs of Abuse:  Neurotoxicity
   and Plasticity." NIDA Monograph #136, _Assessing Neurotoxicity of Drugs
   of Abuse_, pp 155-178.

   [spinal fluid / Parkinson's]

   Fraser-L. "Xochipilli: a context for Ecstasy." Whole Earth Review, 1992.

   [Also check out http://www.hyperreal.com/~lamont/pharm/pharm.html
    for lots more references and other fun stuff.]

8. Are shroom kits legal, and do they work?

   [they work]

   Benedict-R-G, Brady-L-R, Smith-A-H, Tyler-V-E, "Occurrence of psilocybin
   and psilocin in certain Conocybe and Psilocybe species."  Lloydia
   25, 156-159. 1962.

9. Will marijuana do <X> to my body?

   [overview]

   National Academy of Sciences (U.S.).  Institute of Medicine.  Division of
   Health Sciences Policy.  _Marijuana_and_Health_.  Washington:  National
   Academy Press.  ISBN 0-309-03236-9.  LC 81-86534.

   [brain damage]

   Co-B-T, Goodwin-D-W, Gado-M, Mikhael-M, Hill-S-Y.  "Absence of cerebral
   atrophy in chronic cannabis users", Journal of the American Medical
   Association, 237:1231-1232, 1977.

   Kuehnle-J, Mendelson-J-H, Davis-K-R, New-P-F-J, "Computed tomographic
   examination of heavy marijuana smokers", JAMA, 237:1231-1232, 1977.

   Scallet-A-C, "Neurotoxicity of Cannabis and THC: A Review of Chronic
   Exposure Studies in Animals"  Pharmacology, Biochemistry & Behavior.
   Vol. 40 pp. 671-676. 1991.

   Wert-R-C, Raulin-M-L, "The Chronic Cerebral Effects of Cannabis Use I:
   Methodological Issues and Neurological Findings".  Pharmacology,
   Biochemistry & Behavior. Vol. 21 Iss. 6 pp. 605-628. 1986.

   Wert-R-C, Raulin-M-L, "The Chronic Cerebral Effects of Cannabis Use II:
   Psychological Findings and Conclusions".  Pharmacology, Biochemistry &
   Behavior. Vol. 21 Iss. 6 pp. pp. 629-642. 1986.

   [driving]

   Gieringer-D, "Marijuana, Driving and Accident Safety", Journal of
   Psychoactive Drugs, Vol 20(1), Jan-Mar 1988.

   [immune system - overviews]

   Hollister-L-E, "Marijuana and Immunity", Journal of Psychoactive Drugs
   Vol. 24 Iss. 2 pp. 159-164.

   "Marijuana and Immunity", Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, Vol 20(1),
   Jan-Mar 1988.

   [immune system - specific]

   Kaklamani, et al., "Hashish smoking and T-lymphocytes", 1978.

   Kalofoutis et al., "The significance of lymphocyte lipid changes after
   smoking hashish", 1978.

   Wallace-J-M, Tashkin-D-P, Oishi-J-S, Barbers-R-G, "Peripheral Blood
   Lymphocyte Subpopulations and Mitogen Responsiveness in Tobacco and
   Marijuana Smokers", 1988, Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, Vol 20(1),
   Jan-Mar 1988.

   [lung damage / cancer]

   Cabral-G-A, Stinnet-A-L, Bailey-J-R, Ali-S-F, Paule-M-G, Scalled-A-C,
   Slikker-W, "Chronic Marijuana Smoke Alters Alveolar Macrophage Morphology
   and Protein Expression"  Physiology, Biochemistry and Behavior, Vol. 40
   pp. 643-649. 1991.

   Fligiel-S-E-G, Beals-T-F, Tashkin-D-P, Paule-M-G, Scalled-A-C,
   Ali-S-F, Bailey-J-R, Slikker-W, "Marijuana Exposure and Pulmonary
   Alterations in Primates"  Pharmacology, Biochemistry & Behavior, Vol. 40
   Iss. 3 pp. 637-642. 1991.

   [reproductive system]

   "Marihuana: A Signal of Misunderstanding" pub. U.S. Government
   Printing Office Washington, 1972.

   Slikker-W, et al, "Behavioral, Neurochemical, and Neurohistological
   Effects of Chronic Marijuana Smoke Exposure in the Nonhuman Primate"
   in _Marijuana Cannabinoids Neurobiology and Neurophysiology_, by
   Laura Murphy, Andrzej Bartke ed. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1992.

   [smoke analysis]

   Wu-T-Z, Taskhin-D-P, Djahed-B, Rose-J-E, "Pulmonary Hazards of Smoking
   Marijuana as Compared with Tobacco"  New England Journal of Medicine
   Vol. 318 Iss. 6 pp. 347-351. 1988.

10. I just got a microdot of synthetic mescaline...

   [analysis]

   "The PharmChem Newsletter".  Volume 1 issue 1 through volume 3 issue 2.
   1972-74.

11. My friend told me that pot is often laced with acid...

    [-]

12. Help, I have a piss test next week and...

    [beating the test]

    Cody, J.T.; Schwarzhoff, R.H.
    "Impact of adulterants on RIA analysis of urine for drugs of abuse."
    Journal of Analytical Toxicology.  v13n5, Sep-Oct 1989, p277-84.

    [LSD detection]

    Altunkaya, D; Smith R.N.
    "Evaluation of a commercial radioimmunoassay kit for the detection of
    lysergide (LSD) in serum, whole blood, urine, and stomach contents"
    Forensic Science International.  v47n2, September 1990, p113-21.

    Twitchet, P.J.; Fletcher, S.M.; Sullivan, A.T.; Moffat, A.C.
    "Analysis of LSD in human body fluids by high-performance liquid
    chromatography,fluorescence spectroscopy and radioimmunoassay."
    J. Chromatogr.  v150n1, March 11 1978, p73-84.

13. What is "skunk"?

    [-]

14. What are the monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)?

    [MAOIs in general]

    Brown-C-S, Bryant-S-G, "Monoamine oxidase inhibitors:  safety and
    efficacy issues.  Drug Intell Clin Pharm 1988; 22:232-235.

    McKenna-D-J, Towers-G-H-N, Abbott-F, "Monoamine oxidase inhibitors in
    South American hallucinogenic plants: Tryptamines and Beta-carboline
    constituents of ayahuasca."  J Ethnopharmacology 10, 195-223. (1984).

    Zisook-S, "A clinical overview of monoamine oxidase inhibitors".
    Psychosomatics 1985; 26:240-251.

    [foods/drugs to avoid]

    Anon, "Foods interacting with MAOI inhibitors".  Med Lett Drug Ther
    1989; 31:11-12.

    Lippman-S-B, Nash-K, "Monoamine oxidase inhibitor update.  Potential
    adverse food and drug interactions."  Drug Safety 1990; 5:195-204.

15. Can I smoke or eat <X> to get high?

    [cough syrup]
 
    Bem-J-L, Peck-R.  "Dextromethorphan.  An overview of safety issues."
    Drug-Saf.  1992 May-Jun.  7(3):190-199

    Murray-S, Brewerton-T.  "Abuse of over-the-counter dextromethorphan by
    teenagers."  South-Med-J.  1993 Oct; 86(10): 1151-1153.

    [morning glory]

    Schultes-R-E, "Indole Alkaloids In Plant Hallucinogens".  Journal of
    Psychedelic Drugs Vol.8(No.1) Jan-Mar 1976

    Schultes-R-E, "The Botanical and Chemical Distribution of Hallucinogens"
    Journal of Psychedelic Drugs Vol.9(No.3) Jul-Sep 1977

    [toads]

    Davis-W, Weil-A-T.  "Identity of a New World Psychoactive Toad."
    Ancient Mesoamerica 3 (1992) 5, 51-59.

    Most-A. _Bufo Alvarius: the Psychedelic Toad of the Sonoran Desert._
    Venom Press, Box 2863, Denton, TX 76202.  1984.
--                                                      __
Jani "Gnosis" Poijärvi      On the neverending quest   /(o\    BRAHMAN
[email-masked]  for knowledge by identity.  \o)/ +358-0-498797