Subject: History of Medical Marijuana
From: [email-masked] (Alan Silverman)
Date: 22 Mar 95 06:01:59 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.hemp,talk.politics.drugs,ca.politics

The History of Medical Marijuana

        2727 BC First recorded use of cannabis as medicine in Chinese 
                pharmacopoeia. In every part of the world humankind has
                used cannabis for a wide variety of health problems.

        1937    Cannabis withdrawn from the American public against the
                advice of the medical community. Hemp excluded from 
                "Class II" drugs (having demonstrated medical value)
                by Nixon administration in 1970. Dispite all evidence
                to the contrary, hemp was retained as Class I by the 
                Bush administration in 1989.

        1972    The Nixon-appointed Shafer Commission urged use of
                cannabis be re-legalized, which was not done. Still,
                medical research continued, often with remarkable results.

        1975    FDA establishes Compassionate Use Program for 
                medical marijuana.

        1988    DEA administrative law Judge Francis Young found
                after thorough hearings that marijuana had clearly
                established medical use and should be reclassified
                as a prescriptive drug.

        1990    The California Drug Advisory Board recommends legal
                cultivation of marijuana.

        1991    80% of San Francisco voters vote to legalize medicinal
                use of marijuana.

        1992    Feb.- Department of Health & Human Services callously
                cancels the medical marijuana program.
                Aug.- Marin County Board of Supervisors votes to restore
                marijuana as medicine.
                Nov.- Santa Cruz County votes 77% to legalize marijuana
                by subscription.

        1993    April- Senators Mello and Marks sponsor SJR8: Medical
                Marijuana Resolution seeking Schedule II.
                June- Moro Bay Board of Supervisors votes to restore
                marijuana as medicine.
                July- San Luis Obispo City Council votes to restore
                and study marijuana as medicine.
                Aug.- Both Houses of State Legislature pass SJR8; 
                Assembly: 47-20; Senate: 23-9 in a bi-partisan vote
                sent to President Clinton.

        1994    Aug.- SB 1364-The Marijuana rescheduling bill passes
                both houses of California State Legislature in a
                bi-partisan vote. This would allow doctors to prescribe.
                Sep.- Governor Wilson vetoes SB 1364, forcing the coalition
                to take its message to the people of California to seek 
                justice for their sick and ill.

        Brought to you by Californians for Compassionate Use
        3745 17th Street, S.F., CA 94114   ph. (415)864-1961

        "Join us in our quest for a more just and compassionate society."
                        -Dennis Peron, Citizens for Compassionate Use

        "It's criminal to keep this medicine from patients"
                        -Joycelyn Elders, former Surgeon General

        "This medicine works"
                        -Dean Adell, M.D., ABC-TV Medical Advisor

        Please send donations to the address above.
        Dont wait until it's too late. Write that check out
        now and mail it first thing in the morning.
                                        -alan

-- 
Alan Silverman          Lets keep the treatment of terminal diseases as the 
P.O. Box 14627          sole province of the patient in consultation with a
Santa Rosa, CA 95472    physician.  Please support the Compassionate Use
[email-masked]        Medical Marijuana Campaign for the 1996 ballot.