Subject: What Can I Do? (Updated)
From: [email-masked] (Arian Wolverton)
Date: 29 Aug 1994 22:51:03 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.hemp,talk.politics.drugs,alt.politics.clinton,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.misc,alt.activism,alt.drugs,ne.politics

For those of you who are genuinely concerned about and determined to
change the absurd marijuana laws in this country, here are some places to
start and things to do:
									
1. Order and read "How our laws are made". Ask your U.S. representative's
   office to send you a copy.
									
2. Order and read "Tell it to Washington: A guide for citizen action
   including Congressional directory 1993-1994"
								
   Send $3.50 (includes shipping and handling) to:
				
   League of Women Voters  
   1730 M Street NW		
   Washington, DC 20036
						
   Be sure to ask for publication number 349
								
3. Find out who your federal and state representatives are
									
4. Your state representative and state senator have offices in or near
   your community and in your state capital. Your U.S. representative
   and two U.S. senators have offices in Washington, DC., and in various  
   locations in your state. The office staff is there to serve you, the   
   constituent. Call and ask them to send you all pending legislation
   pertaining to marijuana, drugs, controlled substances, and "drug-related" 
   crime. 
									
5. Write letters opposing unfavorable legislation and supporting favorable
   legislation. Tips include:
									
-- Use the proper form of address. Letters should be addressed to "The
   Honorable _____________" 
									
-- Keep it brief, no more than one page long. Mention the name and number 
   of the bill, and whether you support or oppose it, in the first paragraph.
   Include your reasons and some supporting data in the next paragraph or two.
   Conclude by asking for a response to your letter.
									
-- Be polite and concise - keep everything relevant to the bill in question.
   Type or print neatly, and check spelling.
									
-- Identify yourself as a concerned citizen, parent, or whatever applies.
   It's better NOT to identify yourself as a member of an organization. 
   Finally, mail it and wait for a response (and forward any interesting 
   responses to NORML).
								
-- Remember, Each letter pertaining to a particular piece of legislation is
   usually counted as a "yes" or "no." Don't get overwhelmed by the project.
   The important thing is to get the letters written and in the mail!
						
-- Encourage your friends to do the same.
						
Important federal addresses and phone numbers
									
To support reforming the forfeiture laws, contact key members of Congress:
									
U.S. Representative ____________ U.S. House of Representatives	
				 Washington, DC 20515..Switchboard: 202-224-3121
							
U.S. Senator ___________ (x2)    U.S. Senate					
				 Washington, DC 20510..Switchboard: 202-224-3121
									
The Honorable Jack Brooks        2449 Rayburn House Office Bldg.		
Chairman, Judiciary Committee    Washington, DC 20515-4309        202-225-6565
									
To support medical access to marijuana, contact key members of the Clinton
Administration:
								
President Bill Clinton          1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW		
				Washington, DC 20500.....202-456-1111
								
Deputy Secretary For Health     Hubert H. Humphrey Bldg.
Dr. Phillip Lee                 200 Independence Ave., SW			
				Washington, DC 20201.....202-690-7694           
																
Surgeon General                 Hubert H. Humphrey Bldg.
Dr. Joycelyn Elders             200 Independence Ave., SW		
				Washington, DC 20201.....202-690-6467
							
Attorney General                Department Of Justice		
Janet Reno                      Constitution Ave. & 10th St., NW		
				Washington, DC 20530                    
				202-514-2001 or 800-869-4499
			
Order free studies:
										
Drugs & Crime Data Center - 1994 National Drug Control Strategy - 800-666-3332
									
National Institute on Drug Abuse - Free catalogue listing the dozens of
reports available, including the study of drug use among 8th, 10th, and
12th graders (released in January) - 800-729-6686
								
U.S. Sentencing Commission - Annual Report - 202-273-4590
									
U.S. Supreme Court, voice mail system - Recent opinions of the U.S.	
Supreme Court (need docket number of the case in question) - 202-479-3211
								
Department of Justice, Office of Public Affairs - "An analysis of
non-violent drug offenders with minimal criminal histories" (2/4/94),
prepared by the Office of the Deputy Attorney General - 202-514-2007
									
Dept. of Health and Human Services, public information - Study on teenage
attitudes toward drug use (4/8/94) - 301-443-8956
									
National Highway Transportation Safety Admin., office of Ted Anderson -
"The incidence and role of drugs in fatally injured drivers" by K.W.
Terhune, et. al. - 202-366-5586
									
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
									
Don't be discouraged by unfavorable responses - the more that you and
others communicate with your public officials, the sooner they will change
their positions. Persistance will prevail. The NORML national office will
continue to educate the public and devote a portion of time to direct	
lobbying. Only you can convince your representatives that it would not be
politically suicidal to do the right thing. Together, we can make a
difference. Remember...
									
Right now, someone is being locked in a cage with rapists and murderers for
smoking a joint. 
								
Right now, someone is vomiting uncontrollably from AIDS or cancer
treatment because she could not obtain marijuana. 
							
Right now, the drug warriors could be coming for you!
		
Write now.
										
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
									
All of the above information taken from NORML's "Active Resistance", the
quarterly newspaper you receive upon becoming a member. 
									
I hope you found this informative and I hope you should take the steps
listed - steps towards a better America.
														
Don't forget to join NORML. $25 is all it takes. 

Remember:
									
"If one takes the lowest government estimate of the number of pot smokers
in America - 10 million - one half of one percent of that is 50,000. If
just this ridiculously low percentage were members of NORML, we could	
relegalize hemp. We now stand at just one-tenth of that number, one tenth
of one half of one percent of the lowest government estimate of the number
of regular pot smokers in America! Even at this level, one in 2000 of the
lowest estimate, we are beginning to have an impact. With 50,000 members,
we could have the narcocracy in full retreat."
								
Taken from the article "Why Hemp Is Still Illegal" by Richard Cowan,
National Director of NORML, in the January '94 issue of High Times.             
								
Imagine if NORML were as influential as the National Rifle Association
														
The NRA has two million members and a $97 million budget.
									
If each of the approximately 30 million marijuana consumers in the United
States were to give $3.50 to NORML, NORML would have more money than the
NRA. Instead, NORML's annual budget is now just over $300,000 - only a
penny per marijuana consumer!
								
The above taken from NORML's Active Resistance newsletter.
							
Here are some new additions courtesy of Jim Rosenfield ([email-masked]):

1) align with a "network of help". find others of like mind and join
   with them.  This could be organizations, friends, or a "policy
   action mailing list" such as the DRC-Net set up by Dave Borden
   ([email-masked]).  You should consider supporting NORML,
   Drug Policy Foundation and the Criminal Justice Policy Foundation.
   Join the ACLU and People for the American Way.

2)  Find out what legislation is pending, national and local, formulate
    your positions and go to work.